Saturday, February 9, 2008

Crunchyroll - how to get your Asian fix

So like any good druggie, I am constantly in search of a reliable source. And like any drug the good stuff is rarely legal. When it is it probably shouldn't be. I jones after all things Asian.

I confess. I have an addiction.

Today while doing my usual search on IMDB (new horror movie coming out this summer didn't I see that in Korean or Japanese a few years back?) I'm sure ya'll have heard of J-horror due to the whole Ring franchise. Well Korea does horror better, more subtle. K-horror: next in the alphabet of horror to be remade for American audiences. The search I do is a wikipedia style following of links. From directors and producers, to writers, to actors; I search for movies that I might be interested in. It sucks doing this on IMDB because unless it was a HUGE hit then their info is limited and incomplete. Rarely do they have trailers or plot descriptions. Then when I find something promising I go to YouTube and search for a trailer. Then if I find a trailer and it still sounds good I go to the Piratebay and search for a torrent.

Netflix would be good too I bet. I don't like their endless strings attached deal. I like to be able to watch a movie on my time under my own supervision.

Right so if I find a torrent with English subs then I download it. After one day to a week I get to watch my movie, depending on seeders. (I don't care about dubs, I need to read lips or text and foreign languages rule out lips. Plus the dialog blends into the music sooo much better when I don't have to filter out words. )

Bleh this sucks.

Today I found Crunchyroll. http://www.crunchyroll.com/

They are awesome. It's basically like YouTube minus the personal crap. It streams live. I get to watch my movies, anime, whatever now! All subed (so far). It really makes the "Otaku" in me happy. And if you're looking for something then their wiki is great. It's Wikiroll http://wiki.crunchyroll.com/Main_Page Here it's like a database of everything on the main site. Pick from Anime, Drama, Music, ect. then pick your country of interest. The rest is alphabetical.

If you wanna see things Big, or in a higher quality you gotta donate. I think it's way worth it. I found several movies I've wanted to re-watch, and a whole slew of horror to get jumpy with.

Since the shut down of so many anime torrent sites and then TVlinks.uk (same week as Oinks pink palace r.i.p.), this is the best thing since shrimp chips and mochi.

No comments: